Saturday, 21 May 2016

Why I like Reading


Reading a book is one of my hobbies. I like reading because I‘m looking for a new vocabulary and I want to learn about the writing style from any different authors. I like to study English literature and I always admire it. Started from the simple books like non-fictional books ‘till the tricky one like fictional books. 

My favorite genre is Old Plays (fictional). I like Old Plays because it can teach me about live, how people used to be, and how was society in the past. Although I often can’t fully understand what it means, I always looking for it. Now I had read a lot of plays written by Oscar Wilde and William Shakespeare. I read all of his books for free through online library ‘cause I don't want to buy any books from the local bookstore. You know, it’s kinda expensive here, especially for any foreign language literature. 

My favorite author is J.R.R. Tolkien, a man who writes fantasy novel The Lord of The Rings in 1954.  I only read three of his books, Tree and Leaf (1964), The Return of The King (1955), and Bilbo’s Last Song (1990). I adore him because he is so genius with his high-fantasy mind, he can bring the readers into his world with such an incredible details. Moreover, Tolkien also has an insane talent on creating beautiful language. When you read his book you will understand how Tolkiens use such a weird complex phrases and sentences that you may never heard before. Here I show you one of the paragraphs in his 5th book, The Return of The King 

A light kindled in the sky, a blaze of yellow fire behind dark barriers Pippin cowered back, afraid for a moment, wondering into what dreadful country Gandalf was bearing him. He rubbed his eyes, and then he saw that it was the moon rising above the eastern shadows, now almost at the full. So the night was not yet old and for hours the dark journey would go on. He stirred and spoke.
(Return of the King, Chapter 1 : Minas Tirith)

In last 3 months i had been reading 10 books, 8 of it is had been done yesterday while the rest is still ongoing. Here is the list of the books :
1. Plays of Oscar Wilde – Lady Windermere’s Fan (1892) by Oscar Wilde
2. Return of The King (1955) by Tolkien
3. Woman in White (1859) by Wilkie Collins
4. Tree and Leaf (1964) by Tolkien
5. The Importance of Being Earnest (1896) by Oscar Wilde
6. Vera or, The Nihilists (1880) by Oscar Wilde
7. Bilbo’s Last Song (1990) by Tolkien

[Ongoing]

8. The Writings of Abraham Lincoln (1905) by Arthur Brooks Lapsley
9. The Comedy of Errors (1954) by William Shakespeare
10. A Treatise of Human Nature (1738) by David Hume




No comments:

Post a Comment